In Indian summers, when people are mostly at home because of the hot weather or due to summer holidays, they often want comfort food. In this sultery weather, making rotis is a challenge in itself so rice is preferred.
The comfort food usually includes rice based meals like dal-chawal, pulao, khichdi, tahri or kadhi-chawal.
These dishes are a perfect combination of protein and carbs. They provide the needed energy and are light on the tummy. These dishes are the North Indian summer classics.
My eldest sister makes the best kadhi in the world. Whenever I’m over at her place she prepares lucious, thick kadhi tempered with lots of condiments, spices, curry leaves and of course served with lots of love and warmth.
Those memories still make me nostalgic.
For the sake of those memories, I made this kadhi in my sister’s style in memory of those velvety moments…
- 2 cups gram flour
- 1 cup curd
- 2 chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp coarse ginger-garlic paste
- 5-6 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 4-5 dried whole red chillies
- 1/4 tsp thick fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp small mustard seeds (rye)
- A pinch of asafoetida/heeng
- 1 tbsp Desi ghee for tempering
- Oil for frying
- Mint/coriander and curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Salt as per taste
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Set aside 2 tbsp gram flour from the whole quantity.
- Take the rest of the flour in a bowl and add baking powder, half of the above mentioned quantities of onion, 2-3 chopped green chillies, a pinch of ajwain, red chilli powder and salt. Whisk the batter and fry the pakoras in hot oil at medium flame.
- In another bowl ,take rest of the flour with curd and 2 cups of water along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Whisk it properly.
- Heat 1/4 tbsp Desi ghee in a separate pot and add a pinch of cumin, fennel, asafoetida and then add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté it.Then add the kadhi batter and lightly cook on a low flame for 20 minutes. Add salt according to your taste.
- Then add pakoras in the kadhi and again cook for 10 minutes.
- Before serving, temper it with the rest of the ghee heated in a pan and add finely chopped onion and sauté it till it becomes light brown. Then add red chillies, cumin, rye and garnish the kadhi with this tadka,chopped fresh cilantro and green chillies.
- Serve piping hot kadhi with steamed rice. Enjoy..