Besan Til Barfi

The chilly mornings and evenings- clear signs of the approaching winter- also herald one of the most celebrated festivals of India- Deepawali i.e. the festival of lights.

And what is a festival without delicious, mouthwatering treats? India is especially known for its vast variety of sweets and desserts- fried, baked, steamed, roasted…they are available in all forms. Winter is another great excuse for treating yourself with sweet, warm goodies.

Today I am sharing a recipe of a sweet which is made up of gram flour, khoya (or mawa) and sesame seeds. Now winter has set in almost all parts of northern India. And sesame seeds enriched with antioxidant, vitamins and oil is a star🌟 ingredient of winters. It is excellent for skin, hair and cardiac health.

Ingredients

• 1 cup gram flour
  • 3/4 cup sesame seeds (slightly roasted and coarsely ground)
  • 1/2 cup khoya
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 or 2 cups water
  • Some saffron strands soaked in lukewarm milk
  • 2 tbsp desi(pure) ghee
  • 10-12 crushed almonds

Serves: 6-8

Preparation time: 10-15 minutes

Cooking time: 30 minutes

Procedure:

1. Pour ghee in a non-stick heavy bottom pot and roast gramflour in it. Keep stirring frequently. When the flour turns light brown, turn off the flame and keep it aside.
  2. In another pan pour water and add sugar. Boil and simmer it. Add saffron and cook sugar syrup for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Roast khoya in a non-stick pan with some ghee. Then add sesame seeds and roasted gram flour ( besan) in khoya. Mix all the ingredients and crushed almonds on low flame then add warm sugar syrup in the mixture and thoroughly mix all the ingredients; roast and when the mixture thickens and becomes lumpy, take the pot off the flame.
  4. Grease an aluminium or steel tray with some ghee and pour barfi mixture in tray. Cut the barfi according to your liking.

Nosh farmaiye…

You can also follow me on Instagram!

My Instagram handle is: @noshable.in

12 Comments Add yours

1. mistimaan says:

Send some for me also 😀

Liked by 1 person

2. Megala says:

Sounds delicious!

Liked by 1 person

3. azratarannum says:

Glad to know that you liked it!😊

4. I have never heard of this. Sounds delicious! Do you purchase Khoya or do you make it? If you make it is your recipe posted? Thanks and have a blessed day/night!

Liked by 1 person

1. azratarannum says:

I make khoya at home. It tastes so much better than the one you get in the market! I haven’t posted a recipe for khoya yet, but maybe in the future…:-)

Liked by 1 person

5. neelstoria says:

Makes me crave some right now!

6. I absolutely adore Indian sweets. I used to have such great choice when I was in the UK. So I really would love to try this recipe. Only one drawback, they don’t have gram flour here in Egypt😮

1. azratarannum says:

You don’t need gram flour for this!! Aata actually means ‘wheat flour’. Do let me know how it turns out if you try this 😊

Liked by 1 person

1. Ok thank you. I will definately try. I miss my Indian sweets 😃

Liked by 1 person

2. azratarannum says:

You might want to try out the ladoos too😉

Liked by 1 person