‘Shahi tukda‘ is made up of two urdu words ‘shahi’ means ‘royal and ‘tukda means ‘piece’. Shahi tukda or shahi piece or shahi toast is one of the most famous desserts of India.
I am not much of a dessert person but when it comes to shahi tukda ,l never say no. 😉
Shahi tukda is a speciality of the City of Nawabs i.e. Lucknow. ln Ramadan (especially) this delicacy (along with other traditional ones) is easily available in the old shops and restaurants situated in the narrow streets and alleyways of old Lucknow.
This delectable dessert is believed to have originated in the Royal Mughalai kitchen.
Shahi tukda is quite a common dessert in Indian weddings.
Be it a feast or a dinner party, shahi tukda is a star dessert.
In Hyderabad, this mouthwatering dessert is known as ‘Double ka Meetha‘.
Inspite of being laden with calories, few people can resist it(Still unhealthy though).
I made a healthier version of shahi tukda which is lower in calories.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 6 bread slices
- 1 litre or 4 cups full cream milk
- 4 tbsp sugar(for adding in milk)
- 1/2 cup sugar (for making sugar syrup)
- 1/2 cup water for sugar syrup
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
- Some strands of saffron
- A handful slivered almonds
- Few rose petals for garnishing
- Around 3 tbsp desi ghee for frying
- Partially toast the bread in a toaster.Then cut the slice into two equal triangles.
- Take a frying pan and heat the ghee into it. Shallow fry the bread slices till golden brown.
- Arrange all fried slices in a deep dish. Keep it aside.
- For sugar syrup, heat water and sugar in a pan. Bring it to a boil. Simmer the flame and add cardamom powder. When syrup turns a little thick, put off the stove.
- In another pan, boil the milk and stir it continuously. Reduce the milk till it attains a thick consistency. Add saffron,sugar and almonds. Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- Pour the sugar syrup over bread slices.
- After 5 minutes pour the milk over the slices.
- Garnish with chopped almonds and rose petals.
- Serve warm or cold as per your choice.
- Enjoy 😋