This much-loved traditional Indian cookie has been a regular in the Indian kitchen since forever (and by forever I mean, the time when ovens were not that common in the average Indian household 😅).
Meetha khasta has more shelf life, that’s why it is ideal for eating on travel journeys, picnics, festivals, holidays or just because.
Interestingly, each state adds its own unique ingredient/flavour (depending on the local tastes) to the khasta. To make it healthier, some replace sugar with jaggery while others, to avoid it completely, turn it into a savoury snack! As I said…variations.
My personal twist is the oats, which is not a typical khasta ingredient but makes it so much healthier and tastier.
Oats are loaded with dietary fibre so it helps keep the gastrointestinal tract running smoothly.Oats have cholesterol reducing properties.It is full of antioxidants and minerals and contains very low calories. Plus, it’s also good for your skin and hair.Poppy seeds are also rich source of protein,fats, carbohydrates and vitamins.
Serves : 4
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
: 1/2 cup rolled oats
: 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or refined flour
: 2 tbsp Semolina(suji)
: 5 tbsp powdered sugar
: 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
: 1 tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
: 1/4 tsp baking powder
: 2 tbsp oil or ghee for mixing
: Oil or ghee for cooking as per requirement
1. Take flour and baking powder and strain the mixture of the two.
2.Add lukewarm ghee to flour and rub the mixture thoroughly with your palm.
3. Add Semolina, poppy seeds, coconut and powdered sugar to the flour and mix well.
4. Make the dough with little water.
5. Divide the dough into equal portions.Make a ball with one portion and flatten it into thick roti (flat bread).
6. With the help of cooki cutter or mould make cookies/khasta with the rest of dough.
With the help of a fork, make puncture marks on the khasta to ensure even frying.
7. Heat oil in a heavy bottom cauldron and fry the khasta over medium flame till golden brown.
8. Let it cool and serve with tea, coffee or juice.enjoy😋
PS: Store the khasta in airtight containers after it cools down.