Who doesn’t love a bowl of ice cream in summers? However, loaded with artificial flavouring agents, emulsifiers, stabilizers, refined sugars and what-nots, regular consumption of icecream is hardly healthy.
To make this popular frozen dessert healthier, fruits and vegetables can be used as natural flavouring agents in homemade icecreams.
A vibrant, colourful vegetable, beetroot is a superfood enriched with iron and antioxidants; boasting of numerous health benefits. It regulates blood pressure and improves heart health. It also has high fibre and natural sugar content with the additional bonus of being low in calories 😉.
Beetroot icecream has a refreshing taste and unique flavour; enjoyed by everybody who tries it.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 litre full cream milk
- 2 tbsp beetroot puree
- Sugar as per taste
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1 scoop vanilla icecream(optional)
- Mint to garnish
- Partially boil the beetroot and put the boiled beet into a blender/grinder and make a smooth puree.
- In a pot, pour the milk and bring it to boil. Add sugar and simmer the pot on low flame.
- Add beetroot puree, mix well and after two minutes, take the pot off the flame.
- When the mixture has cools add cream and vanilla icecream. Whisk well and freeze.
- Once the icecream has set, take it out of the freezer, churn it well in a blender/grinder and then put it back into the freezer.
- Garnish the icecream with mint sprigs and don’t forget to enjoy 😋.